We are excited to announce an opportunity for an intern to join our team in Bethnal Green to help develop and deliver the next phase of The U. The deadline for applications is June 22nd, and the assessment days will be held on July 2nd and 3rd. To apply, please see the Young Foundation website.
More details can be found in the job description below.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Venture Intern – Role Description
What is The U?
The U offers short, lively learning sessions in subjects like basic first aid and defusing conflict. These are led by local ‘Hosts’, who are members of the community that receive facilitation training to deliver the learning sessions on a volunteer basis. We operate out
of high street shops and ‘pop-up’ spaces in the community, currently we’re
running in the Southwest London and in the Northeast of England.
This year, our unique approach to learning and community engagement has been tested with over 1000 people and has proven effective at converting strangers into neighbours through the interaction and sharing that is built into the sessions. The resulting social
impact is an increase in connections between members of a neighbourhood, as
well as greater confidence to communicate with one another, building resilience
in the community. Attending a session is free, and always will be!
Working closely with The U’s Community Coordinator and Head of Propositions, the Venture Intern will have the opportunity to work on a broad range of tasks that contribute towards our service development and delivery. Your main responsibilities will include:
- Helping to manage the recruitment of volunteers and Guests, co-ordinating our network of Guests and Hosts using our CRM (customer relationship management) software and via phone and email.
- Prototyping our newest module with members of the public, assisting with the delivery of these sessions and gathering feedback.
- Helping to maintain our online networks and assisting with the development of new marketing and communications materials.
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual who is passionate about working with people and who is keen to learn about the ‘hands on’ operational side of a new start up venture. You will learn about group facilitation and have the opportunity to develop strong communication skills. Ideal candidates will be:
- Enthusiastic about working with people
- Able to work flexibly and willing to get involved in different aspects of design and delivery
- Proactive and confident to express your ideas
- Hard working and reliable
- Interests may include; media and communications, graphic design, volunteer coordination, service design, research.
How we support you:
The U is a venture within The Young Foundation, where two intern co-ordinators oversee the programme. This includes your pastoral care whilst working with us. You will be joining a wider group of interns who work on different projects at The Young Foundation, and are encouraged to attend a range of lunchtime seminars, events and training opportunities. We ensure that your input forms a relevant and valuable contribution to the project.
You will be based at The Young Foundation’s offices in Bethnal Green. Travel expenses are reimbursed to and from work (zones 1-6 within London) and we provide £5 a day food allowance. We will also cover any other expenses incurred in the course of your work.
Project logistics for Intern:
Interns are asked to commit to 3 days per week and for a minimum of 12 weeks. The
working day for interns is 10am to 5pm.